• Ugo Monye was subjected to ‘most blatant racism’ he has heard from a fan
  • Former England wing was covering Sunday’s match as a pundit with TNT Sports
  • A man is to be charged with racially aggravated harassment of Ugo Monye

A 31-year-old man is to be charged with the racially aggravated harassment of former England rugby international turned broadcast personality Ugo Monye.

In November 2023 and while working at a match between Exeter and Gloucester, Monye reported he was subjected to racist abuse from a member of the Sandy Park crowd.

Writing on social media site X, the TNT Sport and BBC pundit said at the time: ‘Disgraceful. Not a single person said a word, challenged or even reported it.’

The abuse was immediately condemned by Exeter and an investigation launched.

On Monday, Devon and Cornwall Police confirmed a charge had been made.

Former England wing Ugo Monye was covering a game between Exeter and Gloucester as a pundit with TNT Sports

Former England wing Ugo Monye was covering a game between Exeter and Gloucester as a pundit with TNT Sports

Monye reported he was subjected to racist abuse from a member of the Sandy Park crowd back in November

Monye reported he was subjected to racist abuse from a member of the Sandy Park crowd back in November

‘Angus Beukes, 31, has been summonsed to appear before Exeter Magistrates’ Court on July 24, where he will be charged with racially/religiously aggravated harassment/alarm/distress by words/writing,’ the authority said in a statement. ‘The charge relates to an incident on Sunday November 19, 2023 in Sandy Park Way, Exeter.

‘We must now respect the court process and would ask that members of the public do not risk prejudicing these proceedings by speculating on social media.’

In November,  Monye spoke to Exeter’s security staff to pass on details about the ugly episode. He was informed that they would analyse CCTV to see if the offender can be identified and punished.

The Chiefs released an official statement which read: ‘In light of recent accusations regarding an incident of racist abuse at Sandy Park following the conclusion of our victory over Gloucester, Exeter Rugby Club will be launching a full investigation. This behaviour will not be tolerated at our rugby club and we condemn it in the strongest possible terms.’

The incident is another uncomfortable setback for a sport desperately trying to improve its image and its record on diversity and inclusion, after a series of controversies. 

In October, the RFU confirmed that a former council member had been banned for calling a volunteer at Twickenham a ‘black c***’, following a similar incident last year.

And two years ago, former England centre Luther Burrell, in an interview with Mail Sport, claimed to have been the victim of racist abuse – leading to an independent review which revealed that such discrimination had been experienced by players at all levels of elite rugby in England.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here