A man was sentenced on Thursday morning for headbutting legendary Manchester United captain Roy Keane in a Premier League match on September 3 last year.

Scott Law, 43, from Waltham Abbey, Essex, is accused of assaulting Keane after United’s game against Arsenal at the Emirates.

Erik ten Haag’s men lost 3-1 on that occasion.

Last week during a court hearing, Law pleaded not guilty to a charge of common assault at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court.

Keane told the court he was left in shock after being attacked, as he and Sky Sports colleague Micah Richards headed to the pitch to analyze the post-match clash between the two sides. It is alleged that Lo walked into a corridor near the Sky Sports studios where he head-butted the former United midfielder in the chest.

Richards temporarily restrained Law, but he broke free and managed to flee the scene. He was then arrested a day later.

For his part, Law claimed Keant told him to “meet me outside” after “the banter got more aggressive”. The defendant’s defense team also claimed Keane elbowed him in the face as they used CCTV footage shown in court.

Richards testified in court and denied accusations by Law’s defense attorney that he saw the headbutting incident because he was simply “Roy’s mate” and became his “puppy” and “candidate.”

Richards said: “I feel sorry for Roy. Just for the fact that you came to work, to do your job, and you were attacked.

“I saw that he was physically shaken. Do what any friend or colleague would do – get involved and try to help the situation.”

“It was a surreal moment. We didn’t go to the UFC match. We were at work.”

Kevin Christie – the lead prosecutor at the North London Crown Prosecution Service – remarked on Thursday: “This senseless and senseless act of violence was completely unacceptable.”

“When anyone attends a football game, whether for work or to support a team, they should feel safe and secure in that environment.”

“The Crown Prosecution Service is working in close partnership with the police to ensure that all perpetrators of violence on football pitches are brought to justice.”

The Guardian notes that as well as Law being banned from football for three years, he was also ordered to complete 80 hours of unpaid work and pay £650 court costs plus a £114 victim surcharge.

Want to be the first to hear the latest Man United news? For handpicked, key updates, join our WhatsApp channel: https://bit.ly/United-Breaking-News.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here